Sunday, July 3, 2011

Winning means fame and fourtune. Losing means certain death.

The Hunger Games have begun...



Rating : 9.7/10



When 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen volunteered to take her sister's place in the Hunger Games, she promised that she could try her hardest to come home alive from this fight to the death.

Suzanne Collins turned a desperate sister's promise in to a bone-chilling adventure. With many a new twist occurring frequently throughout, this story has become a favourite.

Until I came across the Hunger Games series (3 cheers to Gracie for introducing me!) I didn't think I would like books revolving around dystopian societies. Evidently I was wrong. The Hunger Games was unlike any book I had ever read. The story line had unexpected twists and turns, and not once did it get boring. A desperate plea to save a life, a secret  lovers confession, and a final, heart-wrenching decision. Now who wouldn't want to read a book with all that - and more?! 

In my opinion the best thing about the Hunger Games is Suzanne Collins is a decent writer. It seems that half of the books you come across now-a-days are interesting stories, but the writing quality is so low that it seems to be a struggle to get through the book. A book is a thousand times more enjoyable when the writing is up to par with the story line. (For example, if you are interested in a more advanced book, check out Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth novels. Amazing story and amazing writing!)

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose you may be wondering why I gave this book a 9.7 rather than a 10/10. Well while there are many things that are totally awesome about this book, there are just a couple of teensy little things I would've done differently.

For instance, the small section of the book after the games have ended, I think could've been elaborated on. That is when Katniss is having to worry about convincing everyone that it was just a desperate lover's act that she pulled those berries out.
To tell you the truth- that is my only complaint!

There you have it!

Let the reading of the Hunger Games begin.....

P.S.
Also check out the next two books in the series, Catching Fire and Mockingjay!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Hi Emily! Great review of The Hunger Games- it's one of my favorite books!