Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"Writing is the best way to talk without being interrupted." - Jules Renard

Have you ever heard of Six-Word Memoirs? They are kinda cool! We were assigned to do some for English class, which I will be posting later.
The point of a six word memoir is to make a point using only six words. It is kind of self explanatory actually...

If you check out this site , it will give you some examples of six word memoirs.
http://www.smithmag.net/sixwords/

Now, when I started to write my six word memoirs, I immediately though that it would be really hard. I am the kind of person who always writes more than is needed, and I couldn't do that! I had to keep myself to a limit of six words! After filling a page with many, many, many strange sentences, I finally started to really get what was going on. As I said, I will be posting them later, so you'll see some of the ones that I came up with!

Out of everything else, the main thing that I had trouble with was keeping to the limit of 6 words. I usually ended up with 8. However, writing these really helped me become better at coming up with ideas, and shortening my sentences. These six word memoirs really tested my patience, because when I had finally gotten down to few enough words, usually the sentence sounded off. It would end up sounding like something that someone who didn't speak English very well would say (that sounds awfully mean, but I don't mean it in a bad way!)

So at my teachers suggestion, I am setting a goal for my blog. I didn't want to set anything too high, because that would probably just discourage me from actually keeping it. So I chose the following: by one week from today, I want to have two full book reviews done. I need help choosing books though! I am going to my local library today--- hopefully that will help!

Any suggestions for books to read? Seriously. I need help. The last time I went to the library I got out 10 books, and liked only 2 of them...

On the other had, while I finish up my six word memoirs, try some of your own! Post them in a comment or shoot me an e-mail if you want me to read them!

Emily

No comments: