Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"Wizards First Rule: People are stupid." - Terry Goodkind

Reading Reflection #8

Credit

Synopsis from the cover:

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.
In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword - to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed... or that their time had run out. 
This is the beginning. One book. One rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

Sounds.... interesting? I was introduced to this series from my Dad, which is funny, because my Dad and I never agree on anything, but we both love this series!

So this book took me quite a bit of time to read it. Or at least, what I consider to be a lot of time. It was 820 pages, each page filled top to bottom with small writing, and it took me just under a week to finish it. It was crazy. The last time I read a book this length, it only took me like, 2 1/2 days...

Anyhow, onto stuff about the book.

This book gave me a lot to think about. Terry Goodkind is the kind of author that will give you something that confuses you at first, but then resolve it pretty quickly. Or not so quickly... depends...

The one really big question I had is listed below.

"What is this 'power' that Kahlan has?" - Many, many times throughout the book, you realise that Kahlan is a feared person, someone called the "Mother Confessor". She evidently has a "power" that really scares people. Just about everybody in the Midlands is nervous around her, but Richard doesn't know of this power. The readers are also blind to what the power actually is, and you don't actually discover what her power is, until about half way through the book. I won't ruin it for you, so you just now will have to read the book to find out what her power is.

So in this first book, we got to meet a lot of different characters, and I am going to list my favourites, and such... so here it goes!

Rachel - This little girl is a total sweetheart, and I just love her to pieces. I really hope that we get to see more of her later on in the series!

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander (AKA Zedd) - This is an older gentleman who Richard had known his entire life. He holds many a secret up his sleeve

Richard Cypher- Though Richard is a hard headed fool a lot of the time, I still find that he is a really loyal friend, and totally trustworthy!

Those are my three favourite characters....

I just started reading the second in the series "Stone of Tears" and so far it is living up to my expectations! There are 13 books in total, so I better start reading! Especially since Stone of Tears has 1000 pages... yipes!

TTFN!


No comments: